Monday, January 26, 2015

Adapting Back to US


I was told, yet again, that I'm slacking on writing my blog. I know, I know. I just don't find the same interest in my daily events as others might. Layovers, ninjas, and foreign sounds have become my norm. I actually feel weird being outside of the Middle East. Recently, I found myself in the US twice within the same month. The first visit for a nice Christmas holiday and the second to say goodbye to a really amazing and beloved man, my grandfather. May he rest in peace. 

There's something welcoming to me about hearing so many different dialects and languages in Kuwait, sure it happens in the states but no way as frequently as here. This is the real melting pot...Bangladesh, Pakistani, Philippines , Syrian, Lebanese, Turkish, Omanis, ..I could sit here and list all day. I've grown accustomed to stepping off the airplane in Kuwait, going to the baggage claim and some guy collecting my bags for me...carting them all the way to taxi, then the taxi driver unloading my bags for me into my elevator. To you that must seem incredibly lazy, and you're right, but I found it so odd landing in JFK without money for a cart and having to push three bags awkwardly through customs line. Sure, a kind old man helped me get it situated, but nothing more because he had a handicap wife of his own to cart around. But I also had a security attendant just laugh in my direction. Of course he meant no harm, no insult; even I found it comical. But help would have been more desired, yet I played along in response, 'just like playing soccer, hah'. We shared a laugh as I struggled-on past customs  to throw my bags towards my parents in a thank-god-you're-here-now-save-me kind of way.

Trips to the stores even felt different for me. Not just the selections, currency, and atmosphere, but again the overall ease Kuwait has me used to. Granted, I rarely accept help from those trying to push my cart to the car, but the fact the offer is on the table is a blessing. Sometimes it's needed. 

Also, I don't even remember appropriate ways to tip anymore! It's embarrassing. I got my hair cut the first day there and undertipped the stylist by half! Meaning I gave her 10%. That's just awkward. I went back, gave her more, and apologized. I had to explain my predicament, I haven't been required to tip in a long time. Yes, I tip in Kuwait, I do so for kindness not for requirement. It isn't socially performed. They pay adequately so that extra tips are just that...extra. And I say adequately, not graciously. This is why I leave something, but not the percentage acceptable in NJ. 

My trip this time to the US was the most eye opening to the cultural shock I will experience upon my arrival this summer. (Don't forget to keep your fingers crossed on that one so you can all meet abboud...finally) Don't get me wrong, I know I'm going to love returning home, but I'm scared a little. I'm worrying about the health insurance, car insurance, living situation, and a job. The normal stressors I'm sure everyone faces. It's just real adult life, I kind of transitioned from college to an easier version of adult life. 

But, I digress, we all know I'm an easily adaptable soul. So my return back will go just as smoothly as my arrival to Kuwait. Insh'allah. (God willing) 

No comments:

Post a Comment